Today, I went in to the fertility clinic in the wee hours of the morning (okay, 8am, but still...that's extremely early for me) for my first monitoring appointment prior to insemination. It is what we're considering Day 5 of a no-menses cycle. That just means that I haven't had a menstrual cycle to start a counter against, so they call the day "Day 5" and prescribe Clomid, to induce ovulation. As this is my first cycle of IUI (http://americanpregnancy.org/infertility/iui.html), I have not been prescribed any FSH (Follicle Stimulation Hormones) which might result in multiple births.
The fertility clinic I go to is quite elegant and prestigious around the country, so I'm always comfortable there. I got in about 30 minutes early in hopes of getting out in time to not have a late start to my work day. Hey...it's a Friday, I want to get out of the office on time! They were able to take me before my appointment.
I got my blood drawn and my height and weight checked, and I also had an ultra sound. the process they have in place is that they do all of your lab work and evaluate your ultra sound in the morning, and call you in the afternoon to tell you whether or not to start taking the Clomid.
So, I got my call around 3pm in the afternoon, and I was told that my blood levels looked fine, and that I should start the Clomid tonight. The nurse I spoke to said that it is best to take the Clomid around the same time each night because it needs to be taken with food as it could cause me to feel tired and nausea. I have 5 days of Clomid (50mg) to take, and that should be enough to start the process of growing my follicles and getting ready for the ovulation stage.
I used this groovy app for my phone called "MediSafe" which sends alerts to my phone (with snooze capabilities) for taking my pills. I also use it for my pre-natal vitamin which I take everyday between noon and 4pm.
My next appointment is in a week. Between now and then it's all Clomid and intercourse to promote ovulation. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment